Monday, August 07, 2006

Just Do It

A couple months ago I saw Sarah McLachlan’s “world on fire” video ( view video at: http://www.worldonfire.ca/ )

What struck me most vividly were the graphics that showed how a very small (and I don’t me relatively small, but rather, literally small) amount of money can make a transforming difference in a person’s life. Examples such as 1 term of schooling for 100 students in Ethiopia takes only $200 struck a cord with me. For me, it has been easy to sit back and do little because it seems that no true change would come from the little I might be able to give. Now I believe that in the right places in the world and through the right organizations true change can happen.

So I researched some organizations and decided to get involved with Women for Women International. They're well respected and highly rated by charity watchdog groups. It is a sponsorship program where for one year I get to offer support through writing letters and providing $27 a month. The particular woman I'll be paired with will have specific needs and goals, but in general the $ goes to support literacy, income producing training and leadership skills for women.

Any day now I will receive information on the woman I will be paired with - I know she is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I will share with you more about her soon.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

For just pennies a day you can provide Lupita with shoes...

Just kidding. I saw that video on Oprah and thought it was very cool. I definitely to not think globally enough.

I think that is super cool what you are doing.

Elizabeth said...

That is great. I am excited to hear about the woman. Thanks for sharing the video.

KM said...

Darn it! Jack beat me to the sally struthers joke.....
I like the general long term philosophy, teach em to fish, etc.

Jaime said...

this is jaime--I LOVE that video too! Doesn't it make you feel totally useless? I am glad you are taking a spin for action instead of guilt! Oprah for President--I'm all for it!

Jenny said...

thanks for the great feedback - jack and jaime are doing some great work for a family in their town - ask them about it.

Elizabeth said...

I actually stunbled across what Jack and Jaime are doing by accident on the internet. I googled jack looking for his email address and found an article. I think it is great. You guys are all awesome.